A message from the IUCr Commission on Small-Angle Scattering:
Dear Small-Angle Scatterers,
The SAS2015 Conference organizers with the Commission on Small-Angle Scattering of the International Union of Crystallography (http://www.iucr.org/iucr/commissions/small-angle-scattering) hereby solicits applications from scientific institutions to host a forthcoming International Small-Angle Scattering Conference in 2021.
Those who wish to organize the SAS2021 conference are kindly asked to submit a bid through the link on the SAS2015 website.
After the deadline all bids will be made available online for viewing and discussion by the Community. Discussion through the SAS listserver will also be possible.
During the SAS 2015 Conference in Berlin past, present and future chairs of the triennal SAS meeting met with the past and present Chair of the IUCr CSAS Commission and concurred that 3 years was too short a time to have confirmation that a bid was successful, so it was agreed to continue the policy of considering bids for the meeting so that the attendees can vote on proposals 6 years out.
No formal bids for SAS 2021 were received prior to SAS 2015, and thus an amended process is proposed to encourage and consider bids:
- The evaluation committee and criteria will be as previously announce
- The deadline for submission will be extended to 1 February, 2016
- The members of the evaluation committee will actively envourage bids from regions that have not recently hosted but where there are relevant developments and SAS communities.
- The bids will be made available on-line to the SAS community for review, discussion and eventual noting via the internet with communications beeing managed through the SAS list server. Voting will be by those who attended either SAS 2012 or SAS 2015, and voters will be requested to note their attendance.
- The results of voting will be provided to the evaluation committee who will make the final decision.
- All are encouraged to sign up to the SAS list server to receive news of the bids and more: go to http://www.iucr.org/resources/lists
The evaluation board will comprise:
- the Chairpersons of the previous three SAS Conference Organizing Committees (SAS-20012, SAS-2015 and SAS-2018),
- three recognized and substantially engaged conference experts from the SAS community, and
- three members of the IUCr SAS Commission.
SAS2021 Conference Site Bid Criteria (...)
The Commission hopes that this procedure will ensure long-term planning of the conferences, taking into account geographical balance, whilst at the same time being open, thorough and fair. In this connection, all are reminded that SAS2006 took place in Kyoto, Japan, SAS2009 took place in Oxford, UK, SAS2012 took place in Sydney, Australia, SAS2015 took place in Berlin, Germany, and SAS2018 will be at the Grand Traverse Resort and Spa on the Shores of Lake Michigan, USA.