Institute Applied Materials
Complementary investigations of fuel cells with synchrotron x-rays and neutrons
- Optimisation of water management in hydrogen PEM fuel cells
- Liquid water necessary for membrane humidification, but gas flow is hindered
- Optimal water distribution essential for high power output and longevity
- Imaging of water distribution in an operating fuel cell in real time, while applying realistic power profiles and environmental conditions
- Neutrons for investigations of a whole fuel cell, synchrotron x-rays for investigation of fine water accumulations in the porous gas diffusion layers.