Three days for exchange between Users of BESSY II and BER II and HZB-scientists
The Seventh Joint BER II and BESSY II User Meeting will take place at WISTA, Berlin-Adlershof on December 9th and 10th, the neutrons session are at Berlin-Wannsee on December 11th. The Verein Freundeskreis Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin e.V. will bestow the Innovation Award and the Ernst-Eckart-Koch Prize. Public highlights are a science slam on Wednesday, 18:30 and the public lecture by David Cahen on the power of science to bridge ideological differences (“Science: Bridge over troubled water“, Thursday 17:00). The public lecture and the science slam are open for everybody.
Wednesday 9th December: WISTA-Centre, Adlershof
- The Synchrotron Day starts at 14:00: HZB scientist will present new developments at BESSY II, followed by the Young Scientists Session and for the first time:
- a HZB Science Slam (18:30).
Thursday 10th December: WISTA-Centre, Adlershof
- The Science Day starts with a keynote lecture by Petra de Jongh (University Utrecht) about the “stability of supported transition metal catalysts”.
- The next sessions are dedicated to short oral presentations about (user)-research at BESSY II, ranging from the analysis of spins in diverse materials, protein crystallography to the geology of meteorites.
- The Innovation Award and the Ernst-Eckart-Koch Prize will be awarded by the Verein Freundeskreis Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin e.V. during the afternoon.
- At 17:00 David Cahen, head of the optoelectronic materials group at Weizmann Institute of Science, will give a public lecture, sharing his thoughts on science as a bridge over huge divides such as ideologies.
- The Poster Session accompanied by the traditional “Berlin Buffet”, kindly sponsored by the companies represented in the industrial exhibition, will conclude the evening.
Friday, 11th December: LMC-Campus, Wannsee:
- The Neutron day begins with a Neutron session, where HZB scientists will give short overviews about new options and improvements, including the presentation of the High Field Magnet.
- In the Young Scientists Session and during the Poster Session, user research will be presented.
The public lecture and the science slam are open for everybody.