Welcome to the Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin
At the Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie (HZB) we explore materials and complex material systems that help to face current and future challenges, such as the energy transition - “Energiewende”. One of the HZB’s research emphases is on materials for thin-film photovoltaics and for the conversion of solar energy into chemical energy carriers (e.g. molecular hydrogen).
To be able to study material structures and processes in detail, the HZB operates two separate large-scale research facilities – the neutron source BER II and the synchrotron radiation source BESSY II – used by some 3,000 guest scientists from all around the World every year. At both facilities, HZB teams have developed in some cases unparalleled instruments and are continuing to work on increasing their measurement precision to allow for new insights to be gleaned.
The HZB is a member of the Helmholtz Association and co-founder of the Competence Centre for Thin-Film and Nanotechnology for Photovoltaics Berlin (PVcomB), whose mission it is to promote the technology transfer to industry.
News and Press Releases
Current job opportunities
- Postdoctorial Scientists (f/m) (PhD in C...
- Konstruktion mechanischer Baugruppen, vo... (german)
- Technical Assistant (f/m) for the HZB-MX...
- 29.05.2016 3rd International Summer School of Crystallography
- 11.06.2016 Long Night of Science
- 20.06.2016 EU-PVSEC Conference 2016
- 22.06.2016 INTERSOLAR EUROPE -The world's leading exhibiton for the solar industry and its patners
- 23.06.2016 7th International Workshop on CIGS Solar Cell Technology (IW-CIGSTech 7)
- 13.07.2016 4th ARD ST3 Workshop
- 31.07.2016 Bagels und Physik - Das traditionelle Sommerfrühstück für Groß und Klein
- 14.08.2016 Bagels und Physik - Das traditionelle Sommerfrühstück für Groß und Klein
- 09.10.2016 Autumn School on Microstructural Characterization and Modelling of Thin-Film Solar Cells