Welcome to the Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin
At the Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie (HZB) we explore materials and complex material systems that help to face current and future challenges, such as the energy transition - “Energiewende”. One of the HZB’s research emphases is on materials for thin-film photovoltaics and for the conversion of solar energy into chemical energy carriers (e.g. molecular hydrogen).
To be able to study material structures and processes in detail, the HZB operates two separate large-scale research facilities – the neutron source BER II and the synchrotron radiation source BESSY II – used by some 3,000 guest scientists from all around the World every year. At both facilities, HZB teams have developed in some cases unparalleled instruments and are continuing to work on increasing their measurement precision to allow for new insights to be gleaned.
The HZB is a member of the Helmholtz Association and co-founder of the Competence Centre for Thin-Film and Nanotechnology for Photovoltaics Berlin (PVcomB), whose mission it is to promote the technology transfer to industry.
News and Press Releases
Current job opportunities
- Postdoctoral Research Scientist (f/m), PhD and postdoctoral experience in Chemistry, Physics, Materials Science or a related field
- Postdoctoral Scientist (f/m) in the field of Physics, Chemistry or closely related discipline
- In the field of Physics, Chemistry or Materials Science
- Topic of the doctoral thesis: Operando XPS characterization of defects in oxide materials for solar fuel production
- PhD-Student (f/m), Master degree in Physics
- IT-Software Engineer
- IT Security Officer (IT Sec)
- trainee (f/m) for a study place Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) course security systems, branch Radiation protection