HZB Machine Learning Summer School 2021
September 10 - 17, 2021
We are happy to announce the second HZB Machine Learning Summer School & Hackathon 2021, which will be held virtually*).
*) Depending on the actual conditions at the time of the Summer School there might be the option of a local meeting at HZB in Adlershof for those who live in the Berlin area.
We want to bring together master and PhD students having data science/computer science/informatics background with early career scientists (PhD to early Postdoc) from internationally renowned research institutions who apply machine learning to solve pressing challenges in the natural sciences.
The Summer School targets both “beginners” and the “experienced”. It will serve both groups with dedicated sessions. Therefore, the format is adapted as follows:
- A preparation day on the Friday – preceding the actual Summer School week! – is mandatory for everybody, to familiarize everybody with the toolbox utilized during the Summer School and in order to provide an effective learning environment for everybody.
- The experienced groups will start with two days filled with a mixture of lectures, keynotes and a thorough introduction into their hackathon project. The introduction will be followed by three full days diving deep into their hackathon project.
- The beginners groups will participate in a four-day lecture series on machine learning basics, including techniques of deep learning and reinforcement learning, effectively combined with hands-on tutorials. Participants will be given the opportunity to develop a "hands-on AI method competence".
Conditions for Participation
Everybody should have their own laptop with a running python (3.8+) environment.
- Solid knowledge of python is expected for the experienced groups and a basic knowledge of python (or another scripting language) is expected for the beginners group.
- Basic knowledge of Jupyter-notebooks and open-source machine learning packages (e.g. sklearn, PyTorch or Tensorflow) is also expected for the experienced group.
- All hackathon projects will be real-world examples from the world of the applied natural sciences which means that knowledge in physics, chemistry, and/or material science will be advantageous.
Please use our registration form.
Deadline for applications is August 22, 2021 (midnight, GMT+2).
If you are interested in joining, please include a short motivation statement (max. ½ page) and your CV (max. 1 page) in your application. Participants will be pre-selected into the two groups (beginners/experienced) based on their preference, motivation statement, and CV.
You will receive notice from us before August 25, 2021. As the number of places is limited, we may have to reject your application.
In case of application withdrawal, we will immediately fill up vacant positions from the waiting list.
The summer school as well as the hackathon are free of charge for all participants.