Dr. Björn Rau
Deputy Director PVcomB
Technology Manager PVcomB
Head of BAIP - Consulting office for building-integrated photovoltaics
Experiences & research activities
- coordination of BAIP - the consulting office for BIPV (bridging the gap between PV and the world of construction)
- coordination of scientific/technological installation and operation of the new Competence center thin-film- and nanotechnology for photovoltaics Berlin (PVcomB)
- coordination of PVcomB's baselines (Thin-film silicon & CIGS)
- scientific and technological planning and installation of PVcomB baselines and their infrastructure
- project planning of new lab units, facilities and thin-film deposition systems
- development of polycrystalline Si thin-film solar cells
(e.g. European Commission projects: ATHLET and METEOR)
- post-deposition treatments of defects in poly-Si thin-films by rapid thermal annealing and plasma hydrogenation
- low-temperature epitaxial growth of Si by ECR-PECVD
- European and national research projects (application, reports, management, …)
- mentoring of students/diploma students and Ph.D. candidates
- optical properties of nitride semiconductors
- laser physics and spectroscopy
- physical metrology
Member of steering committee „BIPV Alliance“, spokesman of working group “Research”
Please visit also my ResearchGate presentation.
- regular presentations on conferences and exhibitions (e.g. EU PVSEC)
- attandance to young people in the International Summer Student Programme 2005
- regular public presentations during "Lange Nacht der Wissenschaften"
- "Tage der Forschung" 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008
Professional education and studies
- since 2010 senior scientist at Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie, as Manager technology PVcomB
- 2001-2009 post-doc at Hahn-Meitner-Institut Berlin (now Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie), group Crystalline Silicon Thin-Film Solar Cells
- 10 days course "Management and team work for junior manager" Selected topics: communication, team and conflict management, time and self management
- international course of "Thin Film Deposition and Applications", Angström Laboratory, Uppsala, Schweden (May 27-31, 2002), organized by CEI-Europe
- 1998-2001, PhD at Humboldt-University Berlin, Department of Physics (chair: Foundations of photonics)
- 1992-1997, Graduate in civil engineering (Dipl.-Ing.) for Physical techniques at FHTW, University of Applied Sciences, Berlin,
- Diploma semester at University of Würzburg, Department of Physics (chair: Experimental physics III), "Entwicklung eines Lumineszenz-Messstandes zur ortsauflösenden Untersuchung der Degradation an II-VI - Halbleiterlasern"
- practical semester at LaserLabor Adlershof, Berlin "Entwicklung einer Apparatur zum hochauflösenden laserspektroskopischen Nachweis von Biomolekülen, speziell CCK-Molekülen"
- 1989-1992, professional education, "Staatlich geprüfter Physikalisch-Technischer Assistent" at Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena (now at Staatliches Berufsbildendes Schulzentrum Jena - Göschwitz), advanced technical college entrance qualification
- above 1 year experience as a national park ranger at Nationalpark Niedersächsisches Wattenmeer, Germany (civil service, 1997/98)
- 4 years experience in environmental journalism at Ostdeutscher Rundfunk Brandenburg, ORB (now RBB), environmental editorial department "OZON"
- active member of Naturschutzbund Deutschland (NABU), ornitological activities
- active member of the Berliner Ornithologische Arbeitsgemeinschaft, BOA