HEMF research projects at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
Our KIT activities are grouped according to the following fields of expertise:
- Solution-processed optoelectronics devices
- Thermoelectric generators
- Battery Materials
Most of our facilities installed within the HEMF project at KIT are currently under construction or under commissioning. Please contact the responsible instrument scientist for detailed information about the definite start of user operation.
Medium-size Synthesis Plant (up to 10 kg) for Lithium Ion Battery Materials
For the evaluation of new or improved battery materials with respect to a potential use in a lithium ion battery, sample masses in the range from about 1 g to a few 100 g are sufficient. If a material exhibits promising electrochemical properties, the performance have to be validated at large cell level. For prototype manufacturing of large lithium ion cells and batteries material quantities in the range of up to 10 kg are required.
Within the HEMF platform, a medium-size synthesis plant is being set up at the KIT, which has to cover three levels:
- Transfer of the synthesis strategies of promising materials from the small-scale laboratory synthesis to scalable processes
- Preparation of several materials in the scale of 1 kg in order to produce large lithium ion battery cells
- Production of few selected materials in the range of 10 kg for the fabrication of battery systems
The requirements on the plant concept are to preserve the powder quality during the up-scaling as well as to guarantee a high reproducibility at each level. The medium-size synthesis plant will be enable both, a reproducible process for material synthesis up to 10 kg and a high degree of flexibility during the material and process optimization.
For more detailed information about the battery materials projekt, please contact Dr. Joachim Binder (email@example.com) and Prof. Dr. Helmut Ehrenberg (firstname.lastname@example.org).