ISSP - International Summer Student Programme
Welcome to the HZB International Summer Student Programme 2024, to be held from 1 July to 23 August!
If you are interested in the programme, you can apply here !
You can find information on the programme, the requirements for application, the conditions of participation and the application procedure below.
About the programme
Each summer HZB offers 20 undergraduate students an eight-week summer student programme. International students can get the chance to work on their own research project in close cooperation with HZB scientists in the fields of Photon Science, Photovoltaics, Solar Cells/Catalysis, Electrochemical Energy Storage, Quantum and Functional Materials and Accelerator research. The programme offers students the opportunity to participate in the everyday work of our research teams, e.g, at their laboratories or experimental areas, located at the HZB-campuses in Berlin-Wannsee or Berlin-Adlershof.
The International Summer Student Programme is complemented by a framework programme which includes
- visits to research facilities at the two HZB locations (e.g. to the synchrotron radiation source BESSY II, laboratories for solar energy research, accelerator producing proton beams for eye tumour therapy)
- excursions to research institutions in and around Berlin
- workshops (e.g. on science communication and entrepreneurship) and
- a closing event with a scientific poster presentation.
Click here to browse through the blog posts of former summer students to get an impression of their experience with the programme and living in Berlin!
Who can apply?
You can apply for the programme if you meet all of the following criteria:
- You are an undergraduate student (not PhD candidate) in Physics, Chemistry, Material Science, Structural Biology, Mathematics, Engineering, Life or Environmental Sciences or related disciplines.
- You have completed at least two years of full-time study in your major discipline at university level.
- You will be enroled as a student at your university during your stay at HZB from 1 July to 23 August, 2024.
- You have a good knowledge of English, knowledge of German would be an advantage.
- You are able to provide a letter of reference with your application.
- Duration of stay: 1 July to 23 August, 2024.
- Participation for the entire duration is mandatory
- Working time: 40 hours/week
- Internship contract of 8 weeks to work on your project
- Subsistence allowance for the contract duration of 1.900€ gross for external participants and 1.000€ gross for students of the universities located in Berlin and Potsdam
- 75% of your travel expenses will be subsidized up to an amount of 200€ for EU-countries and 800€ for non-EU-countries to help you with the costs of travel between Berlin and your residence.
Deadline for the application is 31.12.2023.
In the first application step you will be asked to submit the following documents in English or German.
Your application can only be considered if we have received the entire following documents
- Academic CV
Your CV should be in tabular form and chronological sequence and reflect the most important stages in your education and career. Please keep your CV concise and clear and do not exceed 2 pages.
- Certificate of Enrolment from your current university
The certificate of enrolment has to be valid until the end of August 2024. If you do not yet have one for summer 2024, this must be submitted later and please submit your current certificate of enrolment during the application process.
- Transcripts and academic degree certificate (if applicable)
A copy of your most recent academic transcripts giving an overview of your mark (Please make sure that the document is not protected so that we can open it).
- Copy of passport or identity card
- Letter of reference
The letter of reference must be written by a person who knows you well as a student and can assess your professional conduct.
Students from Non-EU and Non-EEA countries need a working permission for Germany. Therefore, you will have to provide a Declaration of Certificate of Enrolment.
Students are kindly requested to download the Declaration of Certificate of Enrolment.
Please note the instructions for filling in the form.