Welcome to the HZB User Facility BESSY II
The Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie (HZB) operates the large scale research facility BESSY II, a third generation synchrotron source on Wilhelm-Conrad-Röntgen-Campus in Berlin-Adlershof. BESSY II provides ultrabright photon beams from the long wavelength Terahertz region to hard X-rays with complete control of the polarization of the radiation and energy range. The combination of brightness and time resolution makes BESSY II the ultimate microscope for time and space, since both femtosecond time and picometer spatial resolutions are available. In addition, HZB is home to a number of state-of-the-art on-site laboratories and CoreLabs. All these research facilities are designed to serve researchers from universities, foreign research institutions and industry.
IMPORTANT USER INFORMATION
To slow down the spread of the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 we have decided to impose some restrictions:
- We have resumed operation at the HZB step by step from the 4th of May 2020
- Only HZB inhouse use working in the BESSY II experimental hall is allowed (please note the rules)
- Operation of BESSY II for external users will remain suspended until June
- Since we have to ensure, that sufficient distance is possible and practicable in the BESSY II experimental hall a “thinned out timetable” is in place. Only selected beamlines are accessable at a time
- Please refer to the Corona-Special-Schedule for more details (schedule update regularly). If the beamline does not have a “green slot” or a “light green slot”, please stay away from the experiment (except from cases of emergency)
- All beamtimes cancelled due to COVID-19 will be re-scheduled after the summer shut-down
- All events will be cancelled until the end of July
Please don’t send inquiries about the schedule in June and July at the moment. Unfortunately we cannot give you a definite answer yet, since it will depend on the developments and therefore on the regulations by the authorities.
We will keep you informed.
FAST TRACK ACCESS for SARS-CoV-2 proposal
In light of the rapidly changing situation world-wide resulting from the SARS-CoV-2 virus BESSY II would like to ensure that it is doing everything possible to support researchers in their efforts to discover more about the virus and bring us closer to an effective vaccine or treatment. We are offering priority fast track access for groups who require instrument time for projects directly related to SARS-CoV-2. In order to submit a proposal for SARS-CoV-2 related research please contact us by email. More detailed information about our service at BESSY II can be found here.