German University Users
HZB provides financial support for users affiliated with German universities under the following condition:
- the users participate in a beamtime related to an approved, external BESSY II proposal
German non-university research institutions do not qualify for financial support.
EU and EU associated Users
Within the EU CALIPSOplus Transnational Access program, financial support is provided:
- to researchers who participate in a beamtime related to an approved, external BESSY II proposal
- if the main proposer as well as the majority of the experimental team work in EU or EU-associated countries
Researchers from institutes in the following countries may be supported: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, The Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and United Kingdom.
EU associated countries (H2020): Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Faroe Islands, FYR of Macedonia, Georgia, Iceland, Israel, Moldova, Montenegro, Norway, Serbia, Tunisia, Turkey, Switzerland, and Ukraine.
Users from non-EU countries
Proposals from countries outside the EU may receive EU travel support upon request and only to a certain extent.
Eligible countries outside the EU: Africa, Central and South America, and some Asian Countries.
Users from Russia
Groups from Russia working at the Russian-German beamlines may receive support within the framework of the Russian-German Laboratory (RGL) at BESSY II.
General support regulations
The travel and subsistence support is limited to:
- a maximum of two participants per beamtime
- a maximum refund per experimentalist of 400 Euros for beamtimes which last more than 48 hours
- a maximum refund per experimentalist of 200 Euros for shorter beamtime campaigns of less than 48 hours
- the period of the scheduled beamtime. Up to two additional days each for preparation of experiments and post beamtime activities can be supported.
Please note: No daily allowance will be granted. Taxi or rental car costs are not reimbursed, unless otherwise agreed upon in advance. More details in the section Funding arrangements below.
All claims have to be substantiated by means of original receipts.
In case of several executions per proposal (i.e. BAG proposal), please contact the user coordination.
Travel and Subsistence Support has to be applied for in GATE prior to the beamtime. The eligibility will be checked by the User Office. Special arrangements need to be discussed with the User Office well in advance, at least 3 weeks before beamtime.