Measures and Regulations against the Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2
By the beginning of March 2020 we were forced to impose some restrictions to slow down the spread of the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2. Now we are very pleased to announce that we gradually reduce these restrictions and resume user operation at our facilities. In the following you will find some useful information and guidelines that apply during the COVID-19 pandemic period.
Due to the infection incidence in Berlin and the classification of Berlin as a risk area, only in-house and CRG user groups from Berlin will be able to measure at BESSY II and HZB CoreLabs at present. For all other user groups, the measurement period from calendar week 45 (2020) to calender week 07 (2021) has been cancelled.
In response to the increasing overload of Corona-test facilities, HZB decided to refrain from the mandatory negative Corona-test as prerequisite for allowing access to the HZB facilities.
Users who are intending to work at one of the HZB facilities have to submit the form 'Corona Info for external user' prior to their visit, confirming that they had no contact to persons infected by the Corona virus within the last 3 weeks. We make this form available to all registered experimentalists.
Please fill in the form and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. We need this form in order to prepare your access card.
Upon your arrival bring the original form and hand it over to the guards at HZB. No access card without this form.
More detailed information can be found below.
Safety & Access Rules
The following rules apply for access to all HZB campuses, the experimental hall of BESSY II, CoreLabs and in all HZB laboratories:
- Members of experimental teams should originate from the same institute/laboratory the best, the same country at least.
- Persons who work in the storage ring hall must check daily their body temperature at the BESSY gate before entering work and enter themselves in a contact list at the BESSY gate.
- A maximum of 3 persons (1 BL/Instrument Scientist + 2 users) are allowed at the beamline or at the experimental set up at any time.
- Wearing mouth and nose protection is mandatory in the experimental hall, in all HZB laboratories and CoreLabs and on all HZB campuses.
- Guarantee the required minimum distance of 2 meters to other people at all times.
- If it is inevitable to work at shorter distance for a short time, use FFP2 masks, face shields and gloves.
- If there is no appropriate protection -> postpone the work.
- Disinfect tables, keyboards etc. regularly.
Operation and experiments at BESSY II strongly rely on your sense of responsibility.
Mail-in Service & Remote Access
At several beamlines, we plan to offer mail-in services and remote access (service measurements). You will find more detailed information on this webpage soon. We kindly ask you to consider this alternative as well as the possibility of “semi-remote-access”, where you join the beamtime via video. In any case, please, discuss the options and feasibility with our instrument scientists first.
Financial expenses for sample shipment will be reimbursed by HZB.
Not all beamlines and definitely not all experiments are suitable for a service measurement. If you are interested in this option, please proceed as follows:
- Discuss the possibility of mail-in service and remote access with the respective beamline scientist. The decision if a remote access measurement is possible lies with the beamline scientist.
- If remote-access is possible for your experiment, the beamline scientist will inform the HZB User Coordination; your scheduled beamtime will be marked as ‘remote access’ in GATE.
- Provide the safety declaration and declaration of chemicals via GATE.
- Provide the beamline scientist with all the necessary and relevant information concerning your samples and the planned experiments via email
- Send in your samples using DHL or TNT, following the shipping instructions.
- Please make sure to inform the HZB colleague on all safety measures that have to be taken with your samples.
You will receive the shipping instructions as soon as the HZB User Coordination has bee informed by the beamline scientist that there is an agreement on ‘remote access’ for your beamtime.
Fast Track Access for SARS-CoV-2 Proposal
In light of the rapidly changing situation world-wide resulting from the SARS-CoV-2 virus BESSY II would like to ensure that it is doing everything possible to support researchers in their efforts to discover more about the virus and bring us closer to an effective vaccine or treatment. We are offering priority fast track access for groups who require instrument time for projects directly related to SARS-CoV-2. In order to submit a proposal for SARS-CoV-2 related research please contact us by email. More detailed information about our service at BESSY II can be found here.